Our Mission and Vision
To share Jesus Christ with those who don’t know Him, nurture and grow those who do, and help all live in Christ. Know, encourage, and grow while seeing to it that no one falls short of the grace of God. (Hebrews 12:15).
What we believe
The Hightower Baptist Church is a Southern Baptist Church that supports the Cooperative Program Ministries through the Georgia Baptist Convention. The church belongs to the local Hightower Baptist Association, which is made up of 58 churches covering five different counties in Georgia.
Our church consists of born again believers in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. We have a total of 737 members with 525 being residence members. An average of 300 attends each Sunday.
Our goal is to fulfill the Great Commandment and the Great Commission which is go ye therefore into all the world with the Gospel of Jesus Christ and lover the Lord our God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength. Also, love thy neighbor as thyself.
Hightower Baptist Church was likely founded in the early 1830s as one of the first churches in the newly formed Cherokee County, Georgia which was sparsely populated by farmers, gold miners and native Cherokee Indians. The records of the Chattahoochee Baptist Association state that Hightower Baptist Church (with 15 members) united with their association in 1834. In 1835, Hightower Church (with 32 members) was dismissed from the Chattahoochee Association and joined with eleven other churches in forming the new Hightower Baptist Association. 1840 is recognized as the year that Hightower Baptist Church was constituted.
One of the earliest pastors was Rev. Alfred Webb who served “upward of 40 years.” Twenty three different men are recorded as having served as pastors. The first deed to the church property is dated 1845 and described a purchase of two acres (more or less) including the meeting house and graveyard. It is thought that the original meeting house was a one room log building. The present church began as a one room building and was first occupied in 1882. Many improvements and additions have made it into an attractive and comfortable facility for worship and fellowship. The adjacent burial grounds include about 900 graves, with the earliest marked date of death as 1844. The church has actively supported mission work and other Cooperative programs of the Southern Baptist Convention for many years.