Hightower Baptist Church was likely founded in the early 1830s as one of the first churches in the newly formed Cherokee County, Georgia which was sparsely populated by farmers, gold miners and native Cherokee Indians. The records of the Chattahoochee Baptist Association state that Hightower Baptist Church (with 15 members) united with their association in 1834. In 1835, Hightower Church (with 32 members) was dismissed from the Chattahoochee Association and joined with eleven other churches in forming the new Hightower Baptist Association. 1840 is recognized as the year that Hightower Baptist Church was constituted.
One of the earliest pastors was Rev. Alfred Webb who served "upward of 40 years." Twenty three different men are recorded as having served as pastors. The first deed to the church property is dated 1845 and described a purchase of two acres (more or less) including the meeting house and graveyard. It is thought that the original meeting house was a one room log building. The present church began as a one room building and was first occupied in 1882. Many improvements and additions have made it into an attractive and comfortable facility for worship and fellowship. The adjacent burial grounds include about 900 graves, with the earliest marked date of death as 1844. The church has actively supported mission work and other Cooperative programs of the Southern Baptist Convention for many years.
The WMU, Sunday School, Youth Programs and Vacation Bible School are some to the activities to provide spiritual growth to the membership.
An extensive study of the history of this church was published in 2015 in the book: Hightower Baptist Church, Cherokee County, Georgia: An Early History Woven with a Strong and Abiding Faith in Jesus Christ, 1834-1950. The book includes 400+ pages, 200+ pictures, and 100+ years of history; church minutes, membership lists, cemetery records, pastors, deacons, local history, family stories and more.